Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Forest of Broken Dreams

Misery holds my hand
As she walks me through the forest
Showing me things that are not meant for me
As I feel the air fill up my chest

As I look at the trees
I feel dwarfed by their height
Just as our kids were supposed to grow
Their smiles growing ever so bright 

I notice the roots
Nourished by earth's bounty
So too did she nourish us
As we learned each other so profoundly 

I see the trunks
Holding space for that most important 
Like I felt when you heard me
Because your love was so constant 

The branches so strong
As they stretch like arms into the air 
Your arms always welcomed those most troubled
Any wound could be repaired

Leaves so green
As they grow steadily over time
We hoped to do the same
Until the clock rang its last chime 

I look up and see the rays of light
Making their way through the shadows 
I remember how I felt your warmth 
A comfort I hadn't known 

As I walk down the path 
Misery lets me go
And hands me off to Rejection
As the wind starts to blow

I turn to my right
And see him walking across from me
The distance feels so far between us
And it's starting to feel like we're enemies 

Nostalgia walks behind me
Slowly trudging along 
Reminding me of what we had
Not sure if we'll ever know what exactly went wrong 

I look forward and see Apathy
His back is turned to me
I've tried so hard to reach you
But our friendship is just one more casualty 

This beaten path
That resides below my feet
Shows me where I've been
But will result in my defeat
 

No comments: